- Bychuck it
- May 10, 2016
- 0 comments
Simple Ways To Reduce Plastic Wastes
Plastic makes life easier. Those plastic shopping bags make bringing in groceries a snap. Bottled water is easy to grab and go. Disposable diapers make changing your baby much more bearable. With all of these great conveniences, who could say no to plastic? Well, Mother Nature is screaming a great big “NO” as we speak!
The Lowdown On Plastic Wastes
We produce a TON of plastic waste.
- In 2009, 30 million tons of plastic waste was created just in the US alone. Of that 30 million tons, only 7% was actually recycled.
- Most plastic is made from oil.
- Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour, but only 27% of those are recycled. In fact, plastics are the least recycled products, right behind metals, paper, and glass.
- Plastics that are thrown into the ocean kill up to 1 million sea creatures each year.
- Most plastics will take thousands of years to decompose in a landfill.
- Plastics contain toxins such as BPA and phthalates that are released into the environment when plastic starts to break down.
Just Say No To Plastic
Plastics pose a huge threat to our environment. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to cut out all plastics from our lives. Luckily, there are many easy steps you can take starting today to cut down your plastic consumption and help to ultimately make our Earth a better place.
- Use reusable shopping bags. Don’t just stop with shopping bags-try reusable produce bags too.
- Choose a box over a bottle. Opt for a box of laundry detergent as opposed to a bottle of liquid detergent, as the cardboard is much easier to recycle than the plastic bottle.
- Skip the bottled water. Instead, try a glass water bottle and fill up with filtered water from your own tap.
- Buy in bulk. Instead of throwing away four boxes of cereal each week, just buy one large box instead. It’s the same amount of food, just less waste.
- Say no to the straw. Tell your waiter to leave it behind when ordering drinks or bring your own reusable straw!
- Ditch the gum. Gum is actually made of plastic. Gross. Enough said.
- Shave wisely. Instead of a disposable plastic razor, spend a little more and get an electric shaver .
- Light a match. Lighters are made of plastic. Just use a match instead.
- DIY cleaning. Try making your own cleaning products instead of the store-bought options that are always in plastic bottles. Plus, they’re non-toxic!
- Forget frozen. Frozen foods are processed and are not fresh, so why not forget them and their plastic packaging?
- Drink fresh. Make your own juice with fresh fruit instead of buying plastic bottles. It will taste better too!
What a list! There really is no excuse not to cut back on your plastic consumption. Pick one at a time or pick them all and start making a difference in the way we live in this world. At Chuck It Junk Removal we do our part each and every day to leave the world a better place. Join us in the fight!
Give Chuck It Junk Removal a call today: (1-888-924-8254).